Canada is the second largest country in the world geographically with a total land area of 9,984,670 square kilometres.
As an indication of Canada’s size, it takes seven days to drive from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Vancouver, British Columbia. To fly from Halifax to Vancouver takes seven hours. Likewise, the country is so big that it has six time zones — Newfoundland, Atlantic, Eastern, Central, Mountain and Pacific.
Other interesting things about Canada:
- It has more than 71,500 known species of plants and wild animals;
- It contains 20 per cent of the world’s remaining wilderness and 10 per cent of the world’s forests;
- Canada has seven per cent of the world’s renewable freshwater supply and 25 per cent of the world's wetlands;
- Canada has the longest coastline in the world;
- Most of its 31 million people —80 per cent— live in towns and cities in the southern areas of the country and most live within 250 kilometres of the United States border;
- Canada is made up of 10 provinces and three territories. The Province of Ontario, of which Smiths Falls is part, has a population of 13 million and includes people from 200 countries, speaking 130 languages.
Learn more about Canada and how to prepare for moving here by visiting the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-canada.asp
This content was last updated on
Tuesday, April 10, 2012
All documents found on our website are also available in hard copy by contacting the Town Hall.